Click to download the program 2017.
Short review Building for Biodiversity Symposium, Amsterdam, 9th of September 2015
Together with the following experts: Larry Bath (manager/ client de Alliantie); Nicole Pfoser (parc . architektur+freiraum, Darmstadt; editor of Biotope City Journal); Jip Louwe Kooimans (program coordinator at Dutch Bird Protection); Stefano Boeri (Stefano Boeri Architetti, Milan); Maike van Stiphout (DS landschapsarchitecten; nextcity.nl), we explored how at various points in the process we can make intelligent and sustainable choices, to enhance biodiversity.
10 Tips for City Makers / Launching a Road Map to a Biodiverse City
1. Work with the right partners from the start and match your ambitions
2. Biodiversity is multidisciplinary. Build ‘knowledge-bridges‘ between the disciplines
3. Inform decision makers and clients about the value of biodiversity in their ‘own language‘
4. Care for and take advantage of outside pressure to help your plan ahead
5. Free ride on other developments such as green, climate. ‘If you do it, do it biodiverse’
6. Inspire your client
7. For all questions: put on biodiverse glasses. This way of looking helps making decisions
8. As a designer, take a step back, do not design everything
9. Do not center the human being, remove it from its base and look wider
10. Have staying power, to many stakeholders, what you are doing is new
11. Distribute your message widely and ensure awareness among a broad audience
12. Start with education, reach students the tools to transfer knowledge and to get partners
* spatial designers, developers, managers, placemakers, administrators, biologists, ecologists, everyone with a professional interest in a more biodiverse city.
The tips come from Nicole Pfoser, Maike van Stiphout, Jip Louwe Kooijmans, Larry Bath and Stefano Boeri. Collected by Dave Wendt (Arcam) and Mathias Lehner (lehner gunther).
– watch interview with Stefano Boeri here
– download Buildings Greening Energy by Nicole Pfoser
– download full version in German: Gebäude Begrünung Energie
– download a summary of greening potentials by Nicole Pfoser for Biotope City